Celebrate 25 Years of Armageddon!
This October, New Zealand’s biggest and best pop culture convention celebrates its 25th consecutive year right back where it started – Auckland! The event that initially started with comics and trading cards, now showcases all manner of gaming, animation, movies and T.V, comics, pop culture merch and of course… Cosplay! While you can enter the events official Cosplay Competition – you can just dress up your favourite character, from anywhere and get along to the event for a fun day out for you, your friends or your family.
Here at Costume World, we are kind of in the business of knowing our stuff in terms of all things costuming – so lets have a look at what’s hot in costume ideas for 2020 and what is popular year in, year out for some inspiration for singles, couples, groups and families if you are thinking of getting a long to Armageddon Auckland!
Heroes & Villains
Whether you are a hero fan or enjoy stepping into the dark side – Heroes and Villains never fail to be popular dress up and cosplay options. For singles, couples, families, or groups there are HEAPS of options with a wide variety of characters to pick from. The beauty here is that you are also blessed with options from various films, universes and incarnations.
- DC Comics: Batman, Justice League, Teen Titans, Suicide Squad, Comic Book Harley Quinn, Joker, The Riddler, DC Super Hero Girls, the options are endless!
- Marvel: Avengers – nearly all the characters can work together for Adults, Kids, groups! Check out the new Scarlet Witch option to team with Vision for a cute couple’s costume and nod to the upcoming ‘WandaVision’ on Disney+!
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: A classic group option that never fails to get a laugh!
Options for the Movie Buffs!
While we have not had many film releases this year there are still some great new options available as well as plenty of options for those fans of the golden oldies!
- Scoob!: Why not get your gang together and solve some crime like those pesky kids of Mystery Inc.?
- Wonder Woman 1984: New costumes now available for the latest instalment in the Wonder Woman franchise – how about that GOLD?
Star Wars: Its hardly a pop culture convention if you cant spot Darth, Yoda or Chewy wandering the crowds!
Disney Classics: Never forget the timeless beauty of the Disney Classics or their recent remakes! These options make great family story options too!
What’s New in TV
While we have not had much action at the Box Office this year – it certainly has been a year for TV and streaming services. Check out our great new options for some VERY popular titles on the box.
- Stranger Things: Step back to the 80’s and explore the new, broader range of costumes available – including the VERY COOL Demogorgon!
- The Mandalorian: This newest smash hit for the Star Wars universe has options available for adults and kids in both Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) and The Child (Baby Yoda).
- Game of Thrones: With really solid options for Jon Snow, Dany and others already in the range, our jaws dropped when we saw the new White Demon costume that looks strikingly like a White Walker!
Let’s Talk Horror!
Considering how close Armageddon falls to Halloween… you would not be silly to kill (pardon the pun) two birds with one stone and cover yourself for both events with a tribute to the Horror classics!
- IT: Pennywise just got more terrifying with armless (not to be confused with harmless) Georgie Denborough added to the range.
- After years of the Horror Villain range being male character heavy – you can now shop The Nun and the Twins from The Shining and Lydia Deetz wedding dress from Beetlejuice
Whoever, or whatever you decide to dress up as, the beauty is that you cannot go wrong! These events are specifically designed to celebrate all things Pop Culture! It is broad, diverse and a positive celebration for fans. The only rule? HAVE FUN!